Supporting Library Activities for Children at Skelmersdale Library
Skelmersdale library would like support with their Childrens’ activities Toddler Rhyme Time & Baby Bounce & Rhyme.
The activities are run weekly during Term Time only on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10.30 – 11.00.
The vacancy is currently for the Thursday morning Toddler Rhyme Time.
You will be supporting staff with activities as well as providing information and knowledge for enquiries.
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub. The library service is continual involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running regular events and acting as the venue for many other local groups’ activities, they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation.
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
What are we offering to you?
- An opportunity to share your love of reading and working with children and young people
- An introduction programme and a designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
- Training and support
- An opportunity you can include on your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses.
Baby, Bounce and Rhyme, Toddler rhyme time, Story Time sessions:
- Assisting staff to set up the area for sessions
- welcoming attendees to the sessions, organize prams
- arrange chairs
- singing the set songs
- reading the chosen books
- tidying up after the sessions
- Other activities: in agreement with staff at the library.
What are we asking for from you?
- Regular attendance at an agreed time
- A positive attitude to young people
- Behave in accordance with library rules and regulations
- Comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines.
- Log your volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- be a good communicator
- have patience and understanding
- have confidence when dealing with children and young people
- have an ability to patiently guide and instruct children and young people
- have an ability to get to know the children and young people and understand their interests and motivations
- be friendly and approachable
- be reliable and committed
- Please speak to a member of Skelmersdale library staff for more details about this role before applying
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Skelmersdale Library, South way, Skelmersdale WN8 6NL
We recruit local volunteers to support their local community
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now