Scrabble Club – enthusiasts wanted
Great Harwood Library are looking for volunteers to help with their SCRABBLE CLUB.
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub. The library service is continually involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running regular events like the SCRABBLE CLUB and acting as the venue for many other local groups’ activities, they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation.
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
The Scrabble Club meets every other Wednesday 1:30pm to 3pm.
Please speak to the Library Manager before applying for an informal chat.
- Participate but not lead on ensuring smooth running of various library social events which may include coffee mornings, music recitals, craft activities such as knit & natter, card making, art / hobby and games activities such as chess, scrabble, and dominoes.
- Helping to promoting the event -if appropriate (participate but not lead).
- Help in setting up the spaces for sessions.
- Help with refreshments -if appropriate.
- Act as extra set of eyes.
- Assisting at themed events i.e. World Poetry Day, World Health Day, Heritage Open Day and Safer Internet Day.
- Welcoming library users to the sessions and be willing to help tackle social isolation by talking.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Be confident at dealing with all members of the public
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Great Harwood Library Queen Street, Great Harwood, Blackburn, BB6 7AL
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now