Sitting Service Volunteers
The Sitting Service involves spending time with an adult who has a learning, physical disability or chronic illness in their home to give their carer a short break.
We ask you to give 2-3 hours a week for a regular sitting arrangement, although some people volunteer on an ‘as and when’ basis.
We are looking for people who are patient, understanding and have a genuine interest in people.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks.
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check and is only open to residents of Blackpool to apply.
Out of pocket expenses can be claimed back including travel expenses.
- Offer friendship to the person they sit with
- Take part in activities together, such as listening to music or playing cards
- Make drinks or light snacks
- In some cases take out the person they sit with (with agreement of the carer). For example, to go for a short walk.
- To discuss any activities with the Voluntary Services Officer (VSO) which deviate from the tasks listed above
- Volunteers need to be patient, understanding and have a genuine interest in people
- Volunteers should be approachable and reliable and be able to work as part of a team
- Good communication and listening skills are also needed
- Previous experience in a health and social care is very helpful, although it is not essential
- Volunteers receive ongoing support through meetings and monthly social activities
- Opportunities to meet on a one-to-one basis with the VSO
- Training is offered and further arrangements can be made to meet personal needs
Required Age:18 years +
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now