Kitchen Assistant – Greenfields Community Centre
The role of a Kitchen Assistant is to help with tasks around a busy kitchen, including cleaning, washing, and preparation for meals in the Community Café.
You will be supported by a team of volunteers and the Volunteer Cook to ensure a safe and clean kitchen environment. The meals are delivered at specific times, so teamwork, organisation and good communication is essential. Food Hygiene Level 1 qualification is essential and knowledge of allergies is desirable but this training can be provided.
Volunteering in Community centres is extremely rewarding as you will meet people from all walks of life and will be able to make a positive difference to their lives. The community centre volunteers are extremely passionate about their centre and its activities and we are looking for more passionate people to help! The community centres are run entirely by volunteers and each volunteer has a unique set of skills, which are important to the overall management of the centre. Volunteers play a crucial part in helping to ensure that community centres remain open for residents to access facilities locally. You will get the opportunity to gain valuable experience and access training.
- Assisting the Volunteer Cook with the preparation of meal ingredients, which includes washing, cleaning, peeling, cutting, and chopping fruit, vegetables, poultry, and meat.
- Washing and appropriately storing all cooking appliances, cutting boards, utensils, and dishes.
- Cleaning and sanitising all food preparation areas according to hygiene standards.
- Sweeping and mopping the kitchen floors as well as wiping down kitchen walls.
- Assisting with the unloading, organising and correctly storing of food supplies.
- Taking orders and serving hot/cold drinks and snacks.
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- Good communication and teamwork skills to help other volunteers deliver meals.
- Good organisational and time management skills to run an efficient kitchen.
- Ability to comply with all food health and safety regulations.
- Good at working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- To be enthusiastic and motivated.
- Please note that we will arrange for a DBS check for the appropriate applicant to this role.
- A minimum of high school education.
- Level 1 Food Hygiene (Training can be provided)
Required Age:16 years +
Greenfields Community Centre, Green Lane, Blackburn BB2 4SR