Conversation Volunteers – Lancashire Refugee Resettlement Programme
Volunteers with good communication skills are required to help support Conversation group activities in the Lancaster area.
The sessions aim to help refugee & asylum seekers to feel integrated into their new area by providing them with the opportunity to improve on their ability to converse with others in a supportive, empathetic environment, helping towards their integrating into a new area.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a period of no less than 6 months once accepted.
As the day and time are set, please check your availability before applying.
Please note the Monday session is 16:50 – 17:30
This role is subject to a DBS check
- Supporting ESOL workshops
- Engaging with the group supporting those attending to take part and to get involved, may also require 121
- Supporting sessions that are delivered at venues online as required
- Help with building new skills, confidence, and motivation and developing confidence in communicating in English
- Help setting up the room for group work and tidying up afterwards (Building based)
- Support and assist staff to run sessions and activities as required for the group
- Engaging with groups by supporting those attending, to take part and to get involved
- Log volunteering hours
- Be over the age of 18
- Interest in refugee issues and commitment to addressing the needs of refugees and asylum seekers
- Approachable, friendly, patience, and empathetic
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Trustworthy & responsible
- An ability to motivate and inspire others
- ESOL / Teaching experience would be an advantage
- Good communication skills (no additional language skills required)
- Active Listener
- Reliable, committed to providing long term volunteering support on dates required
- Ability to work well as part of a team
Training required by LVP Volunteering is in the form of distance eLearning specific to the service and the role.
Required Age:18 years +