Community Library Volunteer
Do you have a few hours a week to spare to volunteer?
Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Service provides a wide range of books, information and other resources to support learning and leisure for all ages.
We are seeking volunteers in our Community Libraries to assist in carrying out the routines necessary to maintain an effective service and pleasant environment for members of the public. In the current climate this is done in a socially distanced and COVID safe way.
All volunteers will be required to provide two character references prior to starting their role.
SCHEDULE: Please contact for details
- To welcome customers to the building, support them in the use of library services and encourage them to become regular users
- Helping new customers to join the library using the Blackburn with Darwen website
- Assisting customers in the use of self-service kiosks
- Helping with basic enquiry work using the online public access catalogue (OPAC) and assisting customers to place reservations and renew items on line
- To help find library stock for visitors and library staff
- Supporting the use of public access PC’s and helping customers to access a variety of internet sites
- Providing general information about library services and promoting library services
- Maintaining displays and ensuring that the library is a bright and attractive environment for customers
- General tidying, shelving and sorting stock
- Repairing and maintaining library books
- Topping up the photocopier, kiosks and printers with paper
- Contributing towards organising volunteer rotas opening/closing the building, setting the alarm and reporting any faults
- Following the agreed procedures to report faults/repairs/health and safety issues
- Communicating with central library staff
- Answering the telephone
- Checking e mails and following the agreed procedure for sharing information with other volunteers
- Supporting and preparing for library activities and events
- Supporting record keeping e.g. periodic visitor and enquiry counts
- Collecting newspapers and forwarding invoice to Blackburn Library
- Checking daily postal deliveries
- Promoting library services e.g. reading schemes, events, activities and online resources
- Attending relevant training and meetings
- Log volunteering hours via an online computer system
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organisational skills
- Ability to carry out tasks with minimum supervision
- Ability to contribute effectively as part of a team
- Experience of dealing directly with the public
- Excellent understanding of the principles and delivery of customer care
- Adaptable to changes
- Ability to follow all guidelines including those related to COVID 19, by following the related risk assessments
This post does not require the holder to have a DBS check but volunteers may be asked to attend relevant training courses or workshops.
Required Age:18 years +
Cherry Tree Library, Cherry Tree Lane, Blackburn, BB2 5NX
Mill Hill Library, New Chapel Street, Blackburn, BB2 4DT