Supporting Library Activities for Children at Mellor Library
Mellor Library is seeking volunteers to help support activities for children.
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub. The library service is continual involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running regular events and acting as the venue for many other local groups’ activities, they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation.
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects is vital.
What are you volunteering to do?
Volunteers will support children with activity sessions in the library on Wednesday mornings.
Please speak to a member of library staff before you apply to make sure it’s suitable for you.
What are we offering to you?
• An opportunity to share your love of reading and working with children and young people
• An introduction programme and a designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
• Training and support
• An opportunity you can include on your CV
• Reimbursement of travel expenses.
What are we asking for from you?
• Regular attendance at an agreed time
• A positive attitude to young people
• Behave in accordance with library rules and regulations
• Comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines.
• Log your volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
• Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
• be a good communicator
• have patience and understanding
• have confidence when dealing with children and young people
• have an ability to patiently guide and instruct children and young people
• have an ability to get to know the children and young people and understand their interests and motivations
• be friendly and approachable
• be reliable and committed to providing a good service
Please talk to a member of staff at Mellor library before applying
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training will be provided in the form of distance ELearning or trainer led.
Required Age:18 years +
Mellor Library, St Mary's Gardens, Mellor, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 7JW
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now