LITERACY DEVELOPMENT VOLUNTEER
Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Service provides an active programme of activities and events to attract library users and non-users through our doors
We are looking for volunteers to encourage people to get more out of library membership by assisting with the development and delivery of literacy initiatives and events.
All volunteers will be required to provide two character references prior to starting their role.
A DBS check may also be required for this role. This will depend on the exact range of duties that the volunteer is able and willing to undertake, to be established at interview.
- To encourage people of all ages to use the Library and Information Service by assisting with the development and delivery of literacy development initiatives
- To contribute to the preparation of materials for use in promotional activities including children’s story times and craft sessions
- To assist staff with the delivery of promotional activities for all ages
- To assist with programme set up and clear up
- To build a rapport with people and ensure general health and safety rules are applied
- To contribute to required record keeping procedures including reporting verbally to the supervisor
- To participate in meetings and one to one supervision sessions as relevant
- Attend relevant training courses/workshops
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- Ability to contribute effectively as part of a team
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Basic organisational skills
- A commitment to providing good customer care
- Willingness to support all people (including children and vulnerable adults)
- Ability to carry out tasks with minimal supervision
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. A DBS check may be required for this role.
Required Age:18 years +
Various Blackburn with Darwen Libraries, to be agreed at interview