Home Library Services – Barnoldswick Library
We require a volunteer to help the Library deliver books to our Home Library Service customers. The delivery day is once a month on a Thursday morning.
Please note that a good geographical knowledge of the area is essential for this role. Please speak to a member of library staff before applying to ensure it’s suitable.
Please note: Volunteers must be able to drive and have access to a vehicle. This role requires a DBS enhanced check which will be done free of charge.
The Home Library Service is provided to library customers who are unable to visit their local library because of poor health (including physical and mental health), disability, caring responsibilities or mobility problems. Being a Home Library Service volunteer is much more than just collecting and delivering books it is around spending a little time with each person, a friendly face and a chat can make a real difference helping them to feel cared for and valued by their community.
What the role offers you:
• Volunteering would give you the opportunity to share your love of reading and meeting new people in the local community
• an induction programme & designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
• Training and support
• An opportunity you can include on your CV
• Reimbursement of out of pocket travel expenses
• Regularly collecting pre-packed books from the library and delivering to home library service customers.
• Chatting to vulnerable people and helping to combat loneliness
• Reporting any concerns to library staff or Lancashire Volunteer Partnership as appropriate
• To regularly support the individual by socialising. The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
• To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual or report any concerns.
• To log your volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
• To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role.
Please speak to a member of library staff about this opportunity for more information before applying.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Genuine interest in books and reading
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Barnoldswick Library, Fernlea Avenue, Barnoldswick
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now