Home Library Delivery Service
Would you like to help support Home Library service Customers in your community?
We are looking for volunteers to help deliver library items to those in their community who are unable to access the service because of poor health (including physical and mental health), disability, caring responsibilities or mobility problems. In the current climate this is done in a socially distanced and COVID safe way.
Volunteers will be helping to provide a service to home library service customers.
All volunteers will be required to provide two character references and successfully complete an enhanced DBS checks prior to starting their role.
Home Delivery Service volunteers need their own transport, appropriate car insurance and a current driving licence.
WHAT THE ROLE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to share your love of reading
- Fulfilment knowing you are supporting vulnerable members of the community, particularly in these difficult times
- Social interaction with people in your local community
- An induction programme and ongoing training and support
- Skills you can include on your CV
- Reimbursement of out of pocket travel expenses
- To deliver library materials to elderly and housebound people within the borough of Blackburn with Darwen
- To make a contribution to the health and wellbeing of all customers
- To participate in meetings and one to one supervision sessions as relevant
- Attend relevant training courses/workshops
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- An interest in books and reading
- Willingness to directly support older people
- Ability to contribute effectively as part of a team
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Basic organisational skills
- A commitment to providing good customer care
- Ability to carry out tasks with minimum supervision
- Respect for Equality and Diversity
- Ability to follow all guidelines including those related to COVID-19, by following the related risk assessments
Training will be provided and may be in the form of peer support, online eLearning, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required Safeguarding Adults for Volunteers and Preventing Radicalisation (Basic Awareness) for Volunteers training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Details for accessing the training will be provided at the induction.
Required Age:18 years +
Pick up will be from either Blackburn or Darwen Library - delivery routes are arranged in consultation with individual volunteers.
Blackburn Library, Town Hall St, Blackburn BB2 1AG
Darwen Library , Knott St, Darwen BB3 3BU