Gardening Support – Thornton House
Are you a keen gardener?
If you are interested in sharing that knowledge with others, this could be the ideal opportunity for you.
This is a flexible opportunity based on your own availability. Times/ days can be arranged upon application.
Support from a Volunteer can help make a difference in someone’s life, even if it’s just a smile.
Older people services operates using quality services which are provided in a safe way for all residents.
Their core purpose is to provide high quality competitive, and person centred residential and day time support for the people of Lancashire.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- As a Gardening Assistant volunteer you will be encouraged to assist residents to tend to small areas of the garden e.g. planting & maintaining spring/summer pots and baskets.
- Be able to include the group to carry out general maintenance and basic garden DIY
- Actively support, encourage and empower the service user to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives
- Encourage and spend some time chatting to residents helping to combat feelings of loneliness
- Help to brighten up a resident’s day
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Volunteers will be provided with relevant training required for this role
Gardening Assistant volunteers need to:
- Be good communicators
- Be committed to providing a good service
- Some general knowledge of gardening/ planting/DIY
- Be patience and understanding
- Have a caring nature
- Friendly & approachable
- Adhere to confidentiality guidelines
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:16 years +
Thornton House, Teal Close, Whimbrel Drive off Mayfield Avenue, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire FY5 2LR