Therapeutic Activities Volunteer
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. The Trust is supported by over 200 volunteers in a wide variety of ways. We love our volunteers. The contribution they make to our patients, families, visitors and staff is invaluable.
This exciting new specialist volunteer role will support patients to participate in meaningful and therapeutic activities during their stay in hospital. Research suggests that having access to stimulating activities can help enhance well-being and therefore can assist in the healing process. Person centred and age appropriate, games and crafts are just some of the activities that can assist. This role will improve the experience of our patients and families, allowing the opportunity for people to express themselves in a creative manner thus reducing isolation, improving motivation and sense of well-being.
You can read more about the role of Therapeutic Activities Volunteer Role Profile by clicking here.
This post requires a DBS check.
- Visiting/befriending patients
- Individual activities that may include : reading, games, reminiscence, crafts, listening to music visits to the garden/shop/place of worship
- Group activities such as reminiscence sessions, news discussion, singing or music groups
- Assisting at meal times by supporting a relaxing and social dining experience
- Signposting to other support services
- Talk with families and carers
- Supporting patients, families and carers with the completion of ’This is me’ and the Butterfly Scheme and other feedback formsLog volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good written English
- Good time management
- Ability to use own initiative
- An interest in promoting independence with care and compassion
- Willing to complete training to better understand Dementia
East Lancashire Hospital’s Trust requires all volunteers to attend a volunteer induction and complete core mandatory training before carrying out any voluntary activity within the Trust.
This role will also require volunteers to attend a training around Dementia and become a Dementia friend.
Required Age:16 years +
Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH