Tarleton Community Support (Befriender)
Would you like to brighten someone’s day by listening to, talking with, and encouraging them to achieve positive goals?
If you have an hour or two free a week you might want to apply to become one of our Community Support Befrienders.
How does befriending work?
We take considerable care to ensure a good match between the person requesting a befriender and our volunteer. We will introduce the volunteer to someone from their local area that we are supporting to establishing a mutually beneficial mentoring relationship.
The volunteer will use their local knowledge of community services and groups to provide regular outings that will increase the persons confidence, resilience and independence and help to tackle social isolation issues.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or in a community setting.
- To support their person to achieve agreed positive goals that promote independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual.
- To log volunteering hours monthly online and submit expenses where applicable.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Our Community Support Befrienders do not work with people who are family or close friends.
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Understanding and awareness of key issues that can affect lives i.e. mental health issues, misuse of substances -alcohol, drug abuse, etc.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity covers the Tarleton area.
We endeavour to recruit local volunteers to cover their local community.