Supporting Library Activities
Did you know…?
The library service is continually involved with setting up new projects and groups to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages.
Under the supervision of the staff, our volunteers are able to help support these activities.
Why does the library do this?
Lancashire libraries are recognised as a safe space and are often the main community hub. By running regular activities and social events, libraries endeavour to help tackle some of the issues leading to social isolation. Their many regular activities and events cover I.T, Mental Health & Wellbeing groups, Social participation groups i.e. crafts, games, etc. and lots of other activities for all ages.
Activities will vary depending on the library. Before applying for the opportunity, Volunteers are asked to speak with the library staff who will be able to provide further details.
All tasks with the public are carried out under the supervision of the library staff:
- Participate but not lead on ensuring the smooth running of various library activities.
- Helping to promoting the event -if appropriate.
- Help in setting up the spaces for sessions.
- Help with refreshments -if appropriate.
- Act as an extra set of eyes to ensure those attending activities are happy.
- Welcoming library users to the sessions
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
The qualities we require of the activities volunteer are:
- Confidence in supporting all ages and all members of the public
- Must be a good communicator
- To be reliable and committed to assisting in providing a good service
- The volunteer should have patience and understanding
- The volunteer must be friendly and approachable
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Colne Library, Market Street, Colne Pendle BB8 0AP