Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)
Do you live within Blackburn with Darwen and are you a parent or carer of a child between 0 – 25 years with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) ?
If so we are looking for new members to join our group, ‘The Friends of the Local Offer’ is a group of local parents and carers of children and young people aged 0 – 25 years with SEND.
Group members come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences, but they all have one thing in common and that is a real passion to improve the support and guidance available for children and young people with SEND and wanting to help other families to find the help and support, they need. You do not need to be an expert as we are looking for positive people who care.
You must be able to attend our monthly meeting which currently held on alternating Monday and Friday mornings during term time only.
This post is subject to a DBS check
- Help promote and improve Blackburn with Darwen’s Local Offer website
- Encourage families to take part in engagement activities to make sure family views are heard
- Support Blackburn with Darwen (and occasionally its partners) to create information/guidance that is relevant and family friendly
- Signpost families to available support and guidance services
- Share ideas on how services can be made better
- Attend monthly Friends of the Local Offer meetings to catch up with group members, help agree group priorities and shape the work of the group. Tea, coffee and cake provided.
- Follow the good practice principles outlined in the coproduction code of practice
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- Reside in Blackburn with Darwen
- Be a parent/carer of a child aged 0 – 25 years with SEND
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Values and respects other’s views and opinions
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Respect the need for sensitivity and confidentiality
In addition to general training available to Lancashire Volunteer Partnership volunteers, Friends of the Local Offer are required to undertake the following mandatory training:
- Local offer introduction (this session will help you to know your way round the Local Offer website and it will provide an overview of key support agencies available in the borough).
- Protecting information
- Health and safety
From time to time opportunities for further training will be made available these could be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.