Short Story Reading Group – Longton Library
Longton Library is looking for volunteers to help with their Short Story Reading Group for adults.
The library service is continually involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. The Short Story Reading Group event endeavours to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation by engaging local people to take part and share in the group experience.
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital. Please note, this is a Support Library Activities for Adults opportunity.
The volunteer would be required on Thursday evenings (on a fortnightly basis) from 5pm-6.45pm, plus additional time during the week for preparing material for the session. This may change to once per month if/when shared with another volunteer.
Please speak to a member of library staff before applying.
Tasks – Under supervision the volunteer will:
- Participate but not lead on ensuring the smooth running of Longton library Reading Groups social event.
- Help in promoting the event – if appropriate.
- Help in preparing the spaces before and after the sessions.
- Help with refreshments – if appropriate.
- Welcoming the public to the sessions.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Be confident at dealing with all members of the public
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Longton Library, Liverpool Road, Longton, Preston, PR4 5HA