Shopping Support Volunteers
Do you have a few hours a week spare that you would you like to volunteer to help support others?
We are seeking Shopping volunteers. Their role will be to accompany and assist an older person on a one-to-one basis to access the community and support them whilst they are doing their shopping
Older people services operates using quality services which are provided in a safe way for all residents. Our core purpose is to provide high quality competitive, and person centred residential and day time support for the people of Lancashire.
Support from a Volunteer can help make a difference in someone’s life, even if it’s just a smile.
Days of this opportunity are flexible. Specific days will be arranged upon enquiry.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
As a Shopping Volunteer you will:
- Work on a one to one basis with an older person
- Assists and encourage them to success the community
- Support the person whilst they are doing their shopping
- Actively support, encourage and empower the service user to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives
- Encourage and spend some time chatting to residents helping to combat feelings of loneliness
- Help to brighten up a resident’s day
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
Shopping Support Volunteers will need to:
- Be good communicators
- Be committed to providing a good service
- Be patience
- Have empathy for the person they are supporting
- Adhere to confidentiality guidelines
- Be friendly and have an approachable manner
- Have knowledge and awareness of older people’s needs
- Have knowledge of dementia awareness issues
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Woodlands, Warwick Avenue, Clayton-le-Moors