Community Support – Burnley
In these times of uncertainty, can you can offer support to some of our most vulnerable members of the community in your local area?
Alongside our established telephone befriending role we are looking for support to assist older and isolated members of the community with the collection/delivery of essential items such as shopping and medication.
This may be on a regular or ad hoc basic dependent on the needs of the client.
Using local knowledge of community services, local supermarkets and pharmacies our Enhanced Community Support Volunteers will offer support to those who may not have family or close friends that are able to help them at this time.
The rewarding role of Enhanced Community Support offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences.
This opportunity is subject to a DBS check. To qualify you must have been resident in the UK for the past 3 years.
- Apply online – (Please apply on the advert for the area you live in, this will assist us to deal with your application promptly and please note not all areas will be recruiting at the same time.)
- One of our Volunteer Officers will be in contact to arrange your DBS via Skype or WhatsApp video call.
- You will be matched with a person(s) in the community.
- Support the individual to obtain essential shopping items (this could be attending shopping with the individual or collecting/delivering items on behalf of the individual)
- Collecting/delivering medication on behalf of the individual
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – the role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual via an on-line computer system
- To log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an online computer system
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding, and commit to further training relevant to the role
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +