Room Steward at Helmshore Mills Textile Museum
What do Room stewards do?
Our Room Stewards will help to provide knowledge and guidance to visitors. This opportunity offers the chance to gain local history knowledge and share in the fascination of the surroundings with visitors to the museum.
The museum is open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 12:00 – 16:00. This is a seasonal role and its every week from 3rd April 2020 to 31st October 2020, there will be occasional additional events you may wish to get involved with.
Helmshore Mills textile Museum are looking for people with a wide range of skills to help with their many summer activities for adults and Children.
The service is continually involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running events they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation. The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
If you live in the local area and have the skills required, this would be the ideal volunteering opportunity for you.
- Volunteers will help with interpreting and explaining the building, historic rooms, and family history for visitors while the museum is open.
- Also ensuring the security of objects in their stationed room and informing the duty officer of any issues.
- Volunteers will also be responsible for ensuring that the rules of the museum are observed and provide basic emergency cover such as assisting in fire evacuations.
- Willing to approach visitors who touch or otherwise compromise objects and/or the building, and explain why they are asked not to do so.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Have a wide range of skills
- Be confident at dealing with all members of the public
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
Training will be provided in the form of distance e-learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Please speak to a member of Helmshore Museum Staff for more information about this role before applying
Required Age:18 years +
Helmshore Mills Textile Museum Holcombe Road Helmshore Rossendale BB4 4NP