Reading Hack 12 – 17 Years
Do you love reading and the library?
Are you able to regularly commit to sharing your passion for books with others a few hours each week?
Then this volunteering opportunity to be a Reading Hack – Volunteer activities for young people aged 12- 17 years would be a great opportunity for you. Every year the Lancashire Reading Journey generates the need for reading hacks to help keep young people reading and motivated.
As a Reading Hack we are offering you a chance to:
- Share your skills and interests with others
- Take part in an introduction programme with support from a designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
- Training and support
Before applying all 12 -17 years reading hacks will require a reference from a teacher who has known them for at least one full term and should have spoken with that teacher and got the teachers contact details for the application form.
Activities may include:
- Helping children to read/chose books
- Planning and promoting library offers and events
- Assisting and running a variety of activities
- Other activities-in agreement with staff at the library
- Log volunteering hours on-line
What we are asking for from you
- Attendance at an agreed time
- To behave in accordance with library rules and regulations
- To comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines
What type of skills and personal qualities do young volunteers aged 12+ need?
The volunteer should:
- Be a good communicator
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
- Be reliable and committed
Please speak to a member of staff at Heysham library before applying
Training will be provided (where necessary) in the form of distance learning. Volunteers may be asked to completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:12-17 years
Heysham Library 396-398 Heysham Road, Heysham, Morecambe LA3 2BJ