Lytham Library – Family History
This volunteering opportunity involves helping fellow Family History researchers with their investigations, arranged class visits and Family History sessions, allowing more people to be helped in this popular area of research.
What it entails:
Familiarity with print and electronic sources for family history
Encourage the person attending to do the research themselves, by:
• suggesting sources to try
• explaining how the information is organised
• explaining how to organise a search
What are we offering to you?
• An opportunity to share your knowledge
• Training and support
• An opportunity to assist us in an important area of library use
• A designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback.
• An opportunity you can include on your CV
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub. The library service is continually involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
Family History sessions will take place: Wednesdays 1st and 3rd of the month between 14.00 – 15.00 (tbc)
• Regular attendance at an agreed time
• Treat our resources with care
• Comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines
• Attend one of our Family History sessions on a regular basis and help fellow family historians search for their ancestors.
• To treat everyone with courtesy and respect at all times
• Volunteers must Log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
• Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
• You should have good ICT, communication and listening skills.
• Enthusiasm about the huge difference the Internet can make to someone’s life
• Be a good communicator
• Have patience and understanding
• Be friendly and approachable
• Be reliable and committed to providing a good service
Please talk to a member of Lytham library staff before applying
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training will be provided in the form of distance learning or trainer led.
Required Age:18 years +
Lytham Library, Lytham Assembly Rooms, Dicconson Terrace, Lytham St Anne's FY8 5JY