Supporting Library activities for children – Eccleston Library
Eccleston Library is seeking volunteers to help support their Baby Bounce and Rhyme activity.
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub. The library service is continual involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running regular events and acting as the venue for many other local groups’ activities, they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation. Their many regular activities and events include: Digital skills courses, Mental Health & Wellbeing groups, Reading groups, Children’s Activities, Craft Activities for all ages as well as providing information and knowledge for enquiries.
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
What you are volunteering for?
Activities may include supporting staff with activities such as Baby bounce and rhyme, Storytime, Reading Groups/Trailblazers, Drama events, Craft activities, Digital learning/creative sessions, Games Sessions and Homework sessions.
What are we offering to you?
- An opportunity to share your love of reading and working with children and young people
- An introduction programme and a designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
- Training and support
- An opportunity you can include on your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses.
- Baby, Bounce and Rhyme and Story Time sessions: Assisting staff to set up the sessions, organise prams, arrange chairs, tidying up after sessions and welcoming parents to the sessions
- The session is term time only 09:15-10:15 on a Friday.
What are we asking for from you?
- Regular attendance at an agreed time
- A positive attitude to young people
- Behave in accordance with library rules and regulations
- Comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
The Volunteer must:
- be a good communicator
- have patience and understanding
- have confidence when dealing with children and young people
- have an ability to patiently guide and instruct children and young people
- have an ability to get to know the children and young people and understand their interests and motivations
- be friendly and approachable
- be reliable and committed
- Please speak to a member of library staff before applying
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Eccleston Library. The Carrington Centre, The Green, Eccleston, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7 5TE