Integration Support Volunteer – Lancashire Refugee Resettlement Programme
The Lancashire Refugee Resettlement Programme requires volunteers from the Lancaster and Morecambe area to support and enable refugees to settle in Lancashire. The volunteer will be matched to a specific person for up to 6 months and act as a main regular support to help that person to integrate into the area by following set achievable goals. This will help them to achieve independence and self-sufficiency with integration and include developing confidence in communicating in English.
Specific days/ times will be arranged upon enquiry.
This role is subject to DBS Check
- To provide guidance on using public transport to access main central areas, with main goal being to progress from initial support to transitioning to being comfortable using bus services alone and meeting in central place.
- Sharing knowledge of the area and the facilities available, parks, main shops, places of worship, libraries, museums, local services, etc.
- Encouraging confidence in communication through regular conversation practice and supportive feedback.
- Socialising support, joining local clubs, groups, library, gym etc.
- To be a mentor, providing understanding & empathy.
- Be over the age of 18
- Good communication skills (no additional language skills required)
- Ability to work on a one-to-one basis and as part of a team
- Interest in refugee issues
- Commitment to addressing the needs of refugees and asylum seekers
- Understanding of skills, training
- Ability to share knowledge of the district and local amenities, groups, public services
- To log volunteering hours on-line.
- To complete training relevant to role.
Training will be required in the form of distance eLearning specific to the service and the role.
Required Age:18 years +
Lancaster and Morecambe area