Health Mentor Volunteer
Do you want to help people lead a healthy lifestyle?
Could you speak to local people about how to be healthier?
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. The Trust is supported by over 200 volunteers in a wide variety of ways. We love our volunteers. The contribution they make to our patients, families, visitors and staff is invaluable.
This role will be a vital role within the new Well Service that supports patients and visitors to improve their health by coaching individuals to lead a healthy lifestyle. This service has been created to help patients understand how to maintain and improve their health which will have an impact on the demand from the NHS in the future.
This exciting new volunteer role will provide information to patients and visitors in both waiting areas and on the wards about how to live a healthy lifestyle. We want to support our local population to become more active, and better understand the ways they can improve their health. Health Mentor volunteers will offer engage with patients and visitors, offering information and support them to access services within the hospital and their local community. This role will help local people to stay healthier for longer, increasing their quality of life and reducing the demand on health services in the future. You can read more about the Health Mentor Role by clicking here.
- Providing verbal and written information (booklets) about aspects of healthy lifestyles from the Health Information Points within the hospital setting (e.g. healthy eating, staying active, stopping smoking; sensible alcohol intake).
- Discussing the patients and visitors lifestyles and identifying their needs in terms of the information and signposting to other services that they require.
- Facilitating, supporting and encouraging the individual to take necessary steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Signposting individuals and their families to services, in the hospital and the community, for information, support and resources.
- Being a positive role model for patients and visitors.
- Referring to the appropriate member of staff if help is required if this is outside the remit of this role.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Have excellent communication skills
- Be able to work independently or as part of a team
- Be conscientious, reliable and punctual
- Treat people with respect regardless of background
- Display a non-judgemental attitude
- Have an interest in health improvement
- Understand the importance of confidentiality
East Lancashire Hospital’s Trust requires all volunteers to attend a volunteer induction and complete core mandatory training before carrying out any voluntary activity within the Trust.
This role will also require volunteers to attend a half day Volunteer Health Mentor training sessions to which will support volunteers to provide appropriate and up to date information to patients.
Required Age:16 years +
Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH