Interested in History? – Gawthorpe Hall needs volunteers
Please note that applicants MUST contact the Museum Manager prior to applying for this role on 01282 771004.
Gawthorpe Hall is looking to recruit volunteers to become room stewards when the house reopens in March 2024.
Gawthorpe Hall is a superb Jacobean historic house.
The Museum covers 4 floors and we are pleased that our visitors and volunteers are willing and able to negotiate this historic building – there is no lift.
The Hall is nestled in the shadow of Pendle Hill, East Lancashire. Built between 1600 and 1605 for the Shuttleworth family, it had an iconic and important role in the local area. Gawthorpe Hall is also part of Wonderful Things with special events, offering creative entrance displays that tell the story of the money made and money spent in Pennine Lancashire.
What do Room stewards do?
Our Room Stewards will help to provide knowledge and guidance to visitors.
Volunteers are required for 12pm-5pm, Wednesdays to Sundays, March – November, but they particularly need volunteers at weekends.
Please contact the Museum Manager prior to applying on 01282 771004.
- Volunteers will help with interpreting and explaining the building, historic rooms, and family history for visitors while the museum is open.
- Also ensuring the security of objects in their stationed room and informing the duty officer of any issues.
- Volunteers will also be responsible for ensuring that the rules of the museum are observed and provide basic emergency cover such as assisting in fire evacuations.
- Willing to approach visitors who touch or otherwise compromise objects and/or the building, and explain why they are asked not to do so.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Comfortable talking to people from many backgrounds and walks of life.
- Approachable and friendly.
- Able to learn and interpret historical facts.
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Gawthorpe Hall Burnley Road Padiham Burnley BB12 8UA
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now