Full Steam Ahead to volunteering
Do you know your Autocoach from your Yeoman and everything ‘railway’ in-between?
We are looking for a befriender for a lovely elderly gentleman who is passionate about Railways. The befriender would visit him one afternoon a week, times and day to be arranged.
This Befriending role is about companionship it is not to provide practical assistance. Community Support Volunteers actively support, encourage and empower the client to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives. The benefit of having a regular meeting with a Community Support Volunteer helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user.
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- Community Support Volunteers help to support people who are not family or close friends to help tackle social isolation issues.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual.
- All volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Railway enthusiast with the ability to talk about and learn about Railways
- Good communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Ability to use own initiative
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training will be provided in the form of distance learning or trainer led.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is based in the Lancaster City Centre area.
We endeavour to recruit local people to support their local community