Female volunteer with British Sign language ability required
Female with a wide range of interests including dancing and craft activities, requires a female volunteer with Sign Language skills to visit and support her.
We are looking for a female befriender who would visit her on a Wednesday, once a week, time to be arranged.
These visits would ideally be progressed to going out in the local community and if possible attending dancing / Craft activities.
This Befriending role is about companionship it is not to provide practical assistance. Community Support Volunteers actively support, encourage and empower the client to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives. The benefit of having a regular meeting with a Community Support Volunteer helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user.
- Community Support Volunteers help to support people who are not family or close friends to help tackle social isolation issues.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual.
- All volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Ability to communicate using BSL – British Sign Language
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Good communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training will be provided in the form of distance learning or trainer led
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is based in the Preston Area.
We endeavour to recruit local volunteers to support their local community.