Elderly female requires a befriender
We are seeking a Befriending volunteer to support an elderly female with mobility issues.
Her goal is to go to Weatherspoon’s once a week, but she requires help to get there as she is in a wheelchair.
Using either private transport or a Taxi service this opportunity would require the volunteer to keep her company for an hour or two and transport her home.
Befriending offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences as well as a chance to put something back into the community.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on progress
- Volunteers log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Over 18 years of age
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues e.g. mental health etc.
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Respect for equality and diversity
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is in the Brandy House Brow Area.