Dog Friendly Befriending Volunteer required
We are seeking a male who loves dogs to become one of our Community Support Befriender volunteers.
The Befriender would support a man who would like someone with the time to chat with him over a coffee and to provide him with company when he is out walking his dog.
Our Community Support Befrienders use their local knowledge of community services and groups to help support someone in their community who would like to increase their confidence, resilience and independence.
By becoming a befriender you would be accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in your and someone else’s life.
This rewarding role offers an excellent opportunity for personal development, you will obtain new skills and experiences and put something back into your local community.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks as this role is subject to an enhanced DBS.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or out in a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the person being supported
- Volunteers log your volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Dog friendly
- Over 18 years of age
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Ability to use own initiative
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues e.g. mental health etc.
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance ELearning, or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is based around the Mill Hill and Moorgate area.
We endeavour to recruit people who will by becoming a Befriender help to support their local community.