Digital Buddy – Adult Learning Blackburn with Darwen
The Adult Learning team are looking for volunteers to support our learners with their skills development. We are recruiting Digital Buddies to help people stay connected with family and friends and continue the learning they are participating in. We also aim to help combat loneliness through regular phone calls from our digital volunteers.
We are looking for people with excellent ICT & Social media skills who can help and support people who have low-level skills and are not confident using computers, tablets or smartphones. This could include helping people who don’t have access to devices and connectivity to the internet. The digital buddy will help people use their device, troubleshoot any problems they are having with their equipment and generally help build their confidence with the device, using the internet or social media. This service is both online and face to face in one of our local community centres.
Blackburn with Darwen Adult Learning offer a wide range of Digital and ICT courses across the borough, these courses are designed to engage learners with a range of needs, skills and abilities. Would you like to be a Digital Buddy?
- Volunteers within the Adult Learning Service are required to undergo DBS clearance
- Volunteers need to be 19+
- Supporting from home or face to face in a classroom setting
Supporting from home or volunteering in our local community centres.
|Mill Hill Community Centre, New Chapel Street, Blackburn. BB2 4DT||Tuesday||9:30am-11:30am|
|Darwen Valley Community Centre, 59-61 Sudellside Street, Darwen BB3 3DL||Wednesday||10am-12pm|
|Ivy St Community Centre, Ivy Close, Blackburn BB2 3RR||Wednesday||1pm-3pm|
|Greenfields Community Centre, Green Lane, Blackburn BB2 4SR||Thursday||10am-12pm|
- To support people to access social media, websites and other online resources to reduce isolation and promote online independence
- To support people with a range of devices including smart phones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers
- To communicate effectively to enable people to follow instructions and achieve their desired outcomes
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- Demonstrate clear and concise communication skills
- Be patient, calm, empathetic and reassuring
- Be able to respond to the digital needs of the individual
- Have excellent digital skills
Adult Learning Service Induction, which includes mandatory training.
Required Age:19 years +
Mill Hill Community Centre, New Chapel Street, Blackburn. BB2 4DT
Darwen Valley Community Centre, 59-61 Sudellside Street, Darwen BB3 3DL
Ivy St Community Centre, Ivy Close, Blackburn BB2 3RR
Greenfields Community Centre, Green Lane, Blackburn BB2 4SR