Darwen Library Volunteer
If you love helping people and can commit to volunteering on a regular basis, becoming a Darwen Library Volunteer could be a great opportunity for you.
We are seeking volunteers who are:
- Friendly, approachable and happy to engage with people of all ages
- Punctual, dependable and reliable
- Happy to volunteer as part of a team
- Confident to liaise with the public and committed to equality and diversity
- Committed to excellent, patient and thoughtful customer care
- Vigilant, with attention to detail
These are some of the ways our volunteers support Library services:
- Welcoming customers to the building, supporting them in the use of library services and encouraging them to become regular users.
- Assisting customers with the use of the self-service kiosks and other digital technologies e.g. PC’s
- Help find library stock for visitors and library staff.
- Promoting and supporting the use of online services e.g. Ancestry, Theory Test Pro, eBooks and online reservations.
- Providing general information about library services.
- General tidying, shelving, sorting stock and maintenance of displays.
- Book maintenance e.g. page repairs
- Promoting library services, e.g. reading schemes, events and activities
- Supporting and preparing for library activities and events e.g. storytime
- Providing ideas and suggestions to improve library services.
- Literate with good spoken and written English language skills
- Comfortable with using digital technologies
- Physical ability to move library resources and trolleys, and be on your feet for long periods of time
- The ability to carry out tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to contribute effectively as part of a team
- Excellent understanding of the principles and delivery of customer care
- Adaptable to changes
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers will be required to provide two character references and successfully complete occupational health checks prior to starting their role. An enhanced DBS check may be required at a later date.
Required Age:16 years +
Darwen Library, Knott Street, Darwen. BB3 3BU
Apply for this role
If you are interested in this opportunity, first contact the Service Manager for an informal chat. Following this, you can apply using the button below.
Please note: your application will be declined if no contact is made to the Service Manager before submitting your application.Apply Now