Community Volunteer Drivers
You must be over 25 years of age to apply for this opportunity.
Volunteer Drivers can be a vital ‘helping hand’ for many people who would otherwise struggle to get out and about – we are aiming to have a number of drivers spread throughout Blackburn with Darwen. Our Volunteer Driver Service is specifically designed for and available to those who cannot access public transport – our volunteer drivers are not a taxi service. We compliment other services such as NW Patient Transport Service, local community transport schemes such as Dial a Ride service.
Note: People who abuse our service and the good will of our volunteers will be excluded.
Our Volunteer Drivers use their own cars to provide a door-to-door service for people with a wide variety of transport needs. For example:-
- Attending health, dental or related appointments (especially where the extra ‘moral’ support and ‘listening ear’ of our volunteer can be important).
- Other day-to-day activities – shopping, going to the hairdressers, visiting the bank / post office or something social such as going along to a community activity or support group or visiting family / friends.
- Passengers can travel within a 20 mile radius of their home address.
- We review all insurance and MOT documents of our volunteer drivers.
- Volunteers are reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses – our mileage allowance is in line with HMRC recommended amounts.
The role requires an enhanced DBS disclosure and 2 satisfactory character references.
- On receipt of activity from the Volunteer Co-ordinator, the volunteer will contact client to introduce them self and make all the necessary arrangements i.e. pick up / return times; confirmation of address / access etc.
- Report outcome of activity to Volunteer Co-ordinator (in line with local Service Policy).
- It is important for the volunteer to advise the Volunteer Co-ordinator if they feel a client is not eligible for the Service or if a client’s health or mobility is a concern.
- Claim out-of-pocket expenses in line with Service Volunteer Expenses Policy
- The time commitment of our Volunteer Drivers is flexible, depending on what suits our volunteers and the people we help.
- The amount of work varies from day to day and week to week because of individual demand and availability of drivers. It is not possible to guarantee a certain number of trips each week.
- Log volunteering hours (in line with local Service Policy – on-line system available).
- Notify Volunteer Co-ordinator of any times unavailable, e.g. holiday, personal commitment.
- It is essential that all volunteer drivers ensure their car insurance covers them for volunteer driving.
- Volunteer must be over 25 years of age.
- Have at least 2 years qualified driving experience.
- Volunteer Driver should have a clean driving licence (no convictions).
- Have their own car that is roadworthy, comprehensively insured (current insurance documents and MOT certificate, where applicable, to be produced).
- Have good listening and communication skills.
- Be caring, empathic, sensitive, patience and tactful.
- Reliable, honest and punctual.
- Understanding of confidentiality.
- Be comfortable working alone and workings as part of a volunteer team.
- Have a willingness to learn and take part in any training or meetings when required.
- Be flexible.
- Be able to positively promote the role & service.
- Knowledge of the local community would be an advantage.
- Induction training
- Ongoing supervision with Volunteer Co-ordinator key contact (frequency to be agreed, depending on type and hours of volunteer activity / volunteer experience, skills and background.
- Ongoing training based on needs identified through supervision; peer volunteer meetings.
Required Age:25 years +
We are aiming to have a number of drivers spread throughout Blackburn with Darwen.