Looking for friends in Longton?
Are you looking to make more friends in Longton?
Did you know that by volunteering as a Community Support Befriender (CSB) for 1 or 2 hours a week you would be making new friends?
Doesn’t that sound like a wonderful thing to do?
We need CSB to help support those who are struggling with social isolation. The benefits of having regular meetings with a CSB helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user.
What would I need to do?
Companionship not practical assistance is required for this opportunity. We want you to use your local knowledge of community services and groups, and spend time listening to and supporting someone to engage with them.
What’s in it for me?
The knowledge that by becoming a CSB you are accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in someone’s life, as well as an excellent opportunity for your own personal development. You will obtain new skills and experiences whilst putting something positive back into the community.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks as this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on progress.
- Volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- CSB do NOT support family or their close friends.
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Respect for equality and diversity
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This is a Community Support Befriender opportunity is based in the Longton Area.
We recruit local volunteers to support their local community