Time for a brew? Community Support (Befriending)
Right now in your neighbourhood are people in need of Community Support Befriending, if you have time to spare each week, where you are able to spend an hour or so talking with some one in need of companionship, please consider applying to this opportunity.
Why do we need befrienders?
Volunteers actively support, encourage, and empower their person to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives. They use local knowledge of community services and groups to help increase the person’s confidence, resilience and independence.
By apply today to this opportunity you will be taking the first step to becoming a LVP Volunteer and the possibility that could mark the turning point in someone’s life.
This post is subject to a DBS check
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on progress.
- Volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Our Community Support Befrienders do not work with people who are family or close friends
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Understanding and awareness of key issues that can affect lives i.e. mental health issues, misuse of substances -alcohol, drug abuse, etc.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Abililty to use basic ICT systems
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Respect for equality and diversity
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
We recruit local volunteers to cover their local community