Chess Club at Skelmersdale Library
Can you play a good games of Chess?
Do you have the right motivational skills to show other people how to play?
If you do then Skelmersdale Library is looking for your help to volunteer to help with their new chess club.
Lancashire libraries care and cater for the needs of their local communities and are recognised as a safe space and often the main community hub.
The library service is continually involved with new projects to ensure they provide what is needed locally for all ages. By running regular events and acting as the venue for many other local groups’ activities, they endeavour to help tackle the issues leading to social isolation.
This opportunity supports their commitment to:
- Mental Health & Wellbeing groups (Dementia Friendly Sessions, Games Groups, Chess club, etc.)
The need for volunteers to help assist the service, by helping under supervision to provide many of the activities and projects, is vital.
Tasks – Under supervision the volunteer will:
- Participate – ensuring the smooth running of various library social events which may include coffee mornings, music recitals, craft activities i.e. knit & natter, card making, art / hobby, and games activities i.e. chess, scrabble, and dominoes.
- Help in promoting the event – if appropriate.
- Help in preparing the spaces before and after the sessions.
- Help with refreshments – if appropriate.
- Act as extra set of eyes.
- Assisting at themed events i.e. World Poetry Day, World Health Day, Heritage Open Day and Safer Internet Day.
- Welcoming the public to the sessions.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Be confident at dealing with all members of the public
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
Please speak to a member of library staff before applying
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Skelmersdale Library, South way, Skelmersdale WN8 6NL