Braille Reading Sessions Volunteer
Fleetwood Library would like a proficient braille reading volunteer who is able to share the skill of reading braille to others and is able to help those who require this assistance with learning to read braille.
The activity will take place monthly and on any day that fits in around the appointed volunteer. The volunteer will initially assist in the delivery of Braille Reading sessions with the view to becoming the Braille Shared Reading Group facilitator.
This opportunity will require the Volunteer to have an enhanced DBS check
- Assisting staff in the preparation and delivery of Braille Reading sessions.
- Involves assisting with the reading material that can be used during the sessions.
- The facilitator will read the material to attendees.
- To engage in the group and to guide discussions and activities based on Braille reading.
- Helping to promoting the event -if appropriate.
- Help in setting up the spaces for sessions before and afterwards.
- Help with refreshments -if appropriate.
- Welcoming library users to the sessions and be willing to help tackle social isolation by talking.
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- A proficient Braille reader, reading with fluency and expression.
- Be confident at dealing with all members of the public
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed
- Have patience and understanding
- Be friendly and approachable
Please speak to a member of library staff before applying
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Required Age:18 years +
Fleetwood Library, North Albert Street Fleetwood FY7 6AJ