Befriending opportunity – Thorpe View Day centre
Befriending Volunteers required at Thorpe View Day centre
As a Befriending volunteer you would help to positively engage individuals and help them to take part in the activities.
Support from a Volunteer can help make a considerable difference to someone’s life. The days of this opportunity are flexible and specific days will be arranged upon enquiry.
Day services are provided in community settings. The service aims to support people with disabilities to regain/learn skills and confidence and help them to achieve their personal goals.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check
The benefit of having a regular meeting with a befriender helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user. Befrienders actively support, encourage and empower them to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives.
- Encourage and spend some time chatting to individuals helping to combat feelings of loneliness
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Volunteers will be provided with the relevant training required for this role and should have successfully passed essential training before starting
Befriending/ mentoring volunteers need to:
- Be good communicators
- Caring nature
- Be committed to providing a good service
- Adhere to confidentiality guidelines
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
Thorpe View Day Centre, Thorpe Avenue, Morecambe, LA4 6NG