Befriending opportunity – Longridge
Would you like to be a friend?
Are there moments during the week when you find yourself wondering what to do and thinking you’d like to have someone new to chat with?
By becoming a Community Support Volunteer you would be accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in your and someone else’s life. Community Support offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences as well as a chance for you to put something back into the community.
Using your local knowledge of community services and groups, you would be able to help to support people who are not family or close friends to tackle their social isolation.
The benefit of having a regular meeting with a Community Support Volunteer helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user, as our Volunteers actively support, encourage and empower them to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives like going out to a local café for a coffee.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on progress.
- Volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of distance ELearning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks as this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity covers the Longridge area, we endeavour to recruit local volunteers to support their local community.