Befriending Opportunity in Bolton -le- Sands
The few hours a week you spend volunteering as a Befriender would make a huge difference to the life of the person you are befriending.
This opportunity is for Befrienders in the Bolton le Sands and surrounding area.
Befrienders are vital in helping people need support help tackle their social isolation. The benefit of having a regular meeting with a Befriender helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives.
Befrienders offer companionship not practical assistance, they use their local knowledge of community services and groups and spend time listening to and supporting someone to engage with them. If you have the time and the right motivational and supportive personality, please apply.
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on progress
- Volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- CSB do NOT support family or close friends
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Respect for equality and diversity
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is based in the Bolton-le-Sands area and the area close by.
We recruit local volunteers to support their local communities