Befriending – Coffee & a Chat
We are seeking a Befriending volunteer to support a female who lives in newly built supported housing in Darwen to meet in the home or the lounge area for a coffee and a chat.
Community Support Befrienders use their local knowledge of community services and groups and spend time listening to and supporting someone to increase their confidence, resilience and independence.
By becoming a befriender you are accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in someone’s life. Supported by training, the rewarding role of befriending offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences as well as a chance to put something back into the community.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
• To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
• To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
• To provide regular feedback on progress
• Volunteers log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
• To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
• Over 18 years of age, we are ideally seeking a female volunteer who is 50+
• Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
• Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
• Understanding of vulnerability
• It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues e.g. mental health etc.
• Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to use own initiative
• Respect for equality and diversity
• Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is based in the Darwen area.
We endeavour to recruit people who live locally to support their local community.