Befrienders needed in Kirkham
This Befriending opportunity covers the Kirkham area.
Did you know that there are people in your local communities who require a supportive companion to help them. The benefits of their having regular meetings with a Befriender helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the person who is socially isolated, we want them to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives.
What would you need to do?
Companionship not practical assistance is required for this opportunity. Use your local knowledge of community services and groups and spend time listening to and supporting someone to engage with them.
What’s in it for you?
By becoming a Befriender you are accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in someone’s life. This rewarding role offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences as well as a chance to put something back into the community.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on progress
- Volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Must be over 18 years of age
- CSB do not support family or close friends
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Respect for equality and diversity
Training will be provided in the form of distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is in Kirkham.
We recruit local volunteers to support their local community