Are you ready to start keeping good company?
We are seeking a befriending volunteer for a gentleman who requires support due to a health issue to re-engage with his local community. The visits would take place in the mornings.
Are you ready to become a Befriending Volunteer?
Joining him to go on walks, would make a huge difference. He has many interests, singing, music, bowling, animals, and movies. If you have been thinking of becoming a befriending volunteer and would like to support this gentleman, please apply.
This Befriending role is about companionship it is not to provide practical assistance. Community Support Volunteers actively support, encourage and empower the client to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives. The benefit of having a regular meeting with a Community Support Volunteer helps to increase the confidence, resilience and independence of the service user.
• Community Support Volunteers help to support people who are not family or close friends to help tackle social isolation issues.
• To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
• To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
• To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual.
• All volunteers must log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable on-line.
• To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
• Respect for equality and diversity
• Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
• Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
• Must be over 18 years of age
• Understanding of vulnerability
• It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues – alcohol, drug abuse, mental health etc.
• Good communication, listening and interpersonal skills
• Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
• Ability to use own initiative
• Ability to use basic ICT systems
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required. Training will be provided in the form of distance eLearning or trainer led.
All Befriending volunteers are DBS checked.
Required Age:18 years +
The opportunity is based in the Lostock Hall area.
We endeavour to recruit local people to best support their local community.