Are you able to be a Befriender?
We are seeking a male volunteer to become one of our Community Support Befrienders.
The befriender will support a male who lives in the Darwen area to take part in meaningful activities i.e. attending a local group, an occasional visit to the local cinema or meeting for a coffee and a chat.
Community Support Befrienders use their local knowledge of community services and groups. The befriender spends time listening to and supporting someone to increase that persons confidence, resilience and independence.
By becoming a befriender you would be accepting the opportunity that could mark the turning point in someone’s life. This rewarding role of offers an excellent opportunity for personal development by obtaining new skills and experiences as well as a chance to put something back into the community.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; as this role is subject to an enhanced DBS.
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1: 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals that promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances
- To provide regular feedback on the persons progress
- Volunteers are asked to log their volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Over 18 years of age
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / Flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Ability to use own initiative
- It would be an advantage to have an awareness of key issues e.g. mental health etc.
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is in the Darwen area.
We endeavour to recruit local people to become volunteers that will support their local community.