Pet Therapy Activity Support Volunteers – Woodside
Do you have a Pets as Therapy dog who would enjoy visiting Woodside on a weekly basis?
The dogs must be registered with Therapy Dogs nationwide (PDN) or Pets as Therapy (PAT)
Do you enjoy sharing activities with others?
We are looking for Activity volunteers to help encourage and assist our residents.
As an Activity Assistant volunteer you will act as a friend to residents and assist them to partake in small group activities.
If you are able to share your hobby/ interest this could create a new group for a small number of older people.
Do you have a few hours to spare each week?
Older people services operates using quality services which are provided in a safe way for all residents. Our core purpose is to provide high quality competitive, and person centred residential and day time support for the people of Lancashire.
Support from a Volunteer can help make a difference in someone’s life, even if it’s just a smile.
You must be willing to go through an induction process and relevant background checks; this role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The day and time of the session can be arranged to fit in with the availability of the volunteer (and their dog!)
- Actively support, encourage and empower the service user to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives
- Reminisce activities for residents with dementia
- Playing board games, cards, dominoes
- Sharing your hobbies/interests
- Encourage and spend some time chatting to residents helping to combat feelings of loneliness
- Help to brighten up a resident’s day
- To log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
- Be good communicators
- Be committed to providing a good service
- Be patience
- Adhere to confidentiality guidelines
- Friendly and approachable manner
- Knowledge of dementia
The Volunteer must have a pet registered with Therapy Dogs nationwide (PDN) or Pets as Therapy (PAT).
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:16 years +
Woodside, Burnley Road, Padiham, Burnley BB12 8SD