A coffee and a chat, what could be nicer?
Do you have the time for a coffee and a chat?
If you are local to Carnforth and would like to help support someone by becoming a befriender please apply.
We have people from a variety of backgrounds who need the encouragement and support from a regular contact to enable them to make a fresh start.
Goals are: To help reduce social isolation and loneliness, to help keep the person active and alert through conversation.
The visits will take place once a week for at least an hour.
The time is flexible to be agreed with the applicant.
Could you be that person?
Volunteers actively support, encourage, and empower their person to achieve the specified and agreed goals and objectives. They use local knowledge of community services and groups to help increase the person’s confidence, resilience and independence. Their role is to provide companionship.
This post is subject to a DBS check
- To regularly visit the individual on a 1 : 1 basis either in their own home or a community setting.
- To regularly support the individual to achieve agreed positive goals to promote their independence – The role is unique to every individual’s needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual via an on-line computer system.
- To log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Our Community Support Befrienders do not work with people who are family or close friends
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
- Understanding and awareness of key issues that can affect lives i.e. mental health issues, misuse of substances -alcohol, drug abuse, etc.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of distance eLearning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Required Age:18 years +
This opportunity is in the Carnforth Area.
We would like to recruit a local volunteer to help support their local community.